Saturday, December 13, 2014

Last night, I went with Hubby to his work Christmas party.  I have met some of the people before at various other functions.  This was his ENTIRE office, not just his department so the venue was FULL... to mob/crowded.  My issue with the evening was not that I wouldn't know anyone etc, but with the fact that as a stay at home mom, I don't have to go to work functions of my own and as there are few weddings in the near future to attend, I have no need of a party dress.  So the fact that at the time that I'm supposed to be out the door but was instead standing in my closet staring at my wardrobe in perplexion should be no surprise.

So I tried on all the dresses that would suit, even found dresses that I had forgotten about.  I put on 2 dresses that I had worn in wedding in the past decade. Of course I could not fit them as I have changed my body size since the twins. In the end, I did decide on an outfit that was semi-suitable and went to the venue to meet hubby.

It was an experience not just because of the entertainment, but because of the people.  It is interesting to watch people and what they are wearing, especially when you a little self-conscious about your own attire.  When I got dressed, I told myself not to freak out too much because they aren't people that I work with, and no one will remember what I am wearing too much. (except the hat, because I picked a fascinator suitable for a cocktail party that apparently was talked about with some of hubby's co-workers and so it was noted before I arrived to some areas of the venue.) 

Anyhow, it was interesting to note the various styles of cocktail dresses on the women -- mini skirts with too high heels, long flowing things, outfits that did not seem to work together, the list goes on.  Needless to say, I am no longer 20, so the outfits that I used to wear to clubs or socials do not apply these days, nor am I the "thin" thing that I used to be. 

One of my hubby's cousins is doing a research project about the image of women as portrayed in social media.  I would like to propose that she add that messages that we women tell ourselves as we age.  The comparison not just to other images as per media and photos, but the images that we compare of what we used to be versus what we are now.

Yes, I know if you don't like something, change it.  There is no excuse for why you can't change the eating habits, exercise more, etc.   I suppose that is true, but I can't seem to get myself motivated to change this aspect. Perhaps because it only rears its ugly head occasionally versus all the time. 

No comments: