Sunday, February 16, 2014

What is WRONG with her? .. or am I getting old?

This weekend's edition of the Vancouver Sun had a review about the Miley Cyrus Bangerz concert that played on Friday (14th) at the local centre.  The reviewer described her as
"Miley Cyrus is like a cheap bonbon: A pop artist in a shiny, attention-grabbing wrapper. The candy itself tastes a lot like other cheap sweets found in the pop bin. But the exterior is so gaudy to look at you can't help but notice it standing out from the rest. ...
Walking into the arena Friday night, it was plain to see that Cyrus' influence is wide: Fans young and old lined the concourse, packed the front of merch tables, with the mid-20s crowd decked in club gear, downing more than their share of bubbly alcoholic beverages. Things were about to get "turnt up" in here, to borrow one of Miley's favourite lines (pun intended).
Speaking of lines, some were indeed blurred. While the room was adorned with strings of party balloons, the vibe was certainly not children-friendly (and the crowd consisted of many). It was actually disturbing to see kids and parents clutching posters of Cyrus sporting an essentially crotchless unitard or wearing T-shirts showing her making out with herself in a mirror. There were also inflatable bananas on sale (we'll let you figure that one out yourself). The evolution of pop? Female empowerment? Mindless fun? Please. Capitalism at work.


The photos that accompanied this review are disturbing .. to me anyway.  They are rude, crude and just disturbing.  Maybe I'm getting old.  


But I grew up in the Madonna era. I watched all of her incarnations and controversies wax and wane.  So why does this collection of photos from Miley's concert bother me?   Probably because a) she used to be a Disney character (Hannah Montana) and b) she is young and yet a role model for many other young girls.  I'm pretty sure that in a few years or a decade she will look back on this time in her life.. this time of freedom and think to herself, facepalm, WHAT was I doing?  What was I thinking?  


Well let's hope.  

I think another reason that this bothers me is that unlike Madonna, this is a girl.  Madonna was considerably older when she made it big.  This girl is still exploring her image, etc.  Oh to be young and stupid.  But not in the international news ... 



Because of Miley, I have learned a new "verb"... seriously.  Twerking.  Ick!  

The final thing that bothers me is the statement in the  VS article...   "It was actually disturbing to see kids and parents clutching posters of Cyrus sporting an essentially crotchless unitard or wearing T-shirts showing her making out with herself in a mirror."  Parents!!  yes, I know one could argue that Miley is just a product and that end result is shaped by a group of people in the "industry", and that while the parents were there, it is not like they agree with all of it either.  I didn't agree with Madonna at her times but her music was good.  

Of course, there were times where we said "madonna?  what is WRONG with her?"  (The Like a prayer controversy, the ILLUSTRATED sex book...).  now we just look at Madonna in a different way, while she has earned her cred in the industry, we ask the question in a different way... "WHAT is wrong with her? and her weird journey.  

Well whatever, power to you both.  I'll just choose to ignore your antics and hope that in the decades to come that there are more positive aspects than negative for when my children are older and start to listen to music.  I hope that they will be able to view the music with its sexually explicit content .... i dunno how, but so that they won't be turned off or go on a messed up journey. Maybe I am just getting old..

No comments: