Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Growing Pains with my Toddlers

Yesterday we went to the pediatrician. Toddler boy is 35 lbs and 90 cm high, and Toddler girl is 26 lbs and 87 cm high.  She is is the 50th percentile for growth and well, we assume off the chart for my son.

My children seem to have recurring colds. I wanted to know why... there is no answer.  So I shared my struggles with the doc. She was understanding and told me the following things for my concerns.

Concern #1:  My children get recurring colds.  Canada has a law about not giving them cold medicine until they are 6.  What do I give them other than Children's Tylenol?  Also it is a battle to get it into them as Toddler Girl spits it out and they both fight me.  

Answer:  Use Infant Tylenol as it is more concentrated and you need less.

Concerns #2:  My son seems to walk slightly pigeon-toed.  Is this an issue?

Answer:  The doc pointed out that my son doesn't sit cross legged but sits with his knees together and legs splayed like 2 L's.  Get him to sit cross legged, the pigeon toe walking should take care of itself.

Concern #3:  how to wean them from the bottle?  How to wean toddler girl from her nightly bottle?

Answer:  Learn the word "no". You'll thank her for the advice later when the kids are 16 and want the keys to the car.


So I mention my struggle on Facebook as my son had a meltdown because I refused to give him the bottle and got loads of advice.  

For weaning I told my daughter "No bottles or soothers going out. Just at home." For some reason she seemed to accept this and gradually everything got weaned at home in time.
At 9 mths I just threw the bottles away and gave them cups. They got thirsty enough, they drank. It took 4 hours.
Each kid is different. I'm glad you ladies make it sound simple (sarcasm hidden)
my kids hated changes...but for us we found it easier to switch to sippy cups by using soft spout sippy cups...Nuby makes a great transition sippy.....as for soothers, we decided that doing that after they were each toilet trained was better...once they were trained, they were eased off their soothers and once we were done with them completely, we threw them a party to say good bye. The party involved going out with friends, a cake and handing the soothers on a string to a waitress to put in the garbage....when we got home the soother fairy left a snuggly gift that they had mentioned liking/wanting (baby doll or stuffed toy or whatever)....it's not an easy thing to give up loved items, but it will happen in good time...and they certainly won't be having bottles and sucking on soothers at their wedding receptions You're doing a beautiful job with those sweeties
various advice re: types of cups...
What's the rush? If they want to take a bottle to school, peer pressure will address that quickly. Stop wasting your time (and money) Meh, after 3 kids we've chosen the path of least resistance. I could care less what other people think. We don't worry about little things like what container they want to drink from, just as long as it's clean(ish).    

So I have decided that we will try the gradual weaning and to give myself a break thing because as one person put it

You have good friends, Kathryn. Soon you will have your kids safely past all this and you will look back and long for these days, especially when they have their hand(s) out for the car keys. It's JUST a sippy cup. Honest. Let it happen when it happens. 

There was also about peer pressure from me.  I mean that I have felt the peer pressure that I think it partly imagined, partly genuine concern.  As parents, we hear advice from our family, friends and wisdom from those who have done this walk before. Some of it is valid, and some you disregard.  Some has been overt (Doctor asking me how many words my 2 year olds say and me saying um... 15? and her saying I think I'll get you a referral.. *sigh*) and some is preceived-- legit or not -- by the comparison that we do amongst our peers.

I have always wondered who sets the standard about what is "normal". Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, in the long run, it won't scar the child.  And other times, it is necessary to try to "conform" if we wish to fit in with how our world works.  It is a matter of figuring out what "rules" we think are necessary and who we are helping or hurting by following or opting out... 

No comments: