Monday, April 22, 2013

The Joys of Homeownership


What am I looking at? you may be asking yourself.  I'll tell you what you're looking at. These are photos of my alcove/recess where the china hutch is designed to go.
As you can see from the exterior shot of my house, this space was designed just for this purpose as it juts from the house.  The first jut is for the fireplace, the second (further away in photo) is for the china hutch.  Stupid way to design a house if you ask me.  Should the hutch fall through the floor, it falls on grass.

So I had some friends to the house on Friday and was giving them the grand tour when I spotted this anomaly.  At first, I thought that it was one of those light fixtures that looks like a bulb and shines light upward, but I thought to myself, "I don't remember that being there and isn't that stupid with potlights there?"  What it IS is a foot long bubble of paint that had water seep into it from the roof/gutter system and burst. Goody.  

It had rained that morning. Not really hard, but obviously our hidden gutter system had not been cleaned for a while and now we have to have someone fix this. Likely by ripping out the wall.  Luckily, I called hubby's contractor uncle who has done the previous renos on our house to ask his advice.  He explained what he thought it was from photos and told hubby to see if he could clean out the gutters.  

In the mean time, I tried in vain to find a local roofing company to fix this.  We now live in Surrey, so I googled "Roofing and renovations in Surrey", read a few reviews and called some numbers.  First of all, A1 Roofing either doesn't exist or changed their numbers as the 2 that I found did not work.  Then I found EA Roofing and Renovations as this is exactly what we needed only to be informed that this company has gotten out of the roofing part and has yet to change their name.

*Sigh*  Seriously people, I wish that you would update your information on the internet as this is how most people tend to find their information, go shopping, or just do anything these days. 
 

Mike was nice enough to refer me to another company Roofix and we spoke with them on the emergency line and was told that someone would come this morning, but they would call first at 7 a.m.  So we went to bed with the phone by the bed.  I was awake from 2:20 a.m. to 4: 40 a.m. with both babies (who took turned waking up) so I could have used a sleep in but no, had to be up in case they showed up.  So I called the company at 8:50 a.m. to see if my "order" had been lost. I recieved a call back stating that they prefer to come when it is raining so they can see the leak and normally wouldn't come today but will see if they can "fit" me in. *ugh* so I'm back to square one. Sort of. They will call me by 1 p.m. to let me know what is up.

So I got up "early" for nothing.  The kids would likely have let us all sleep in a bit longer.  They sure weren't interested in breakfast as they had a full bottle of milk in the night. Baby girl is extra cranky for some reason. I think that she is coming down with a cold.

No comments: