Thursday, December 06, 2012

PIctures from moving day...

I have a few minutes so I will FINALLY update this about our move.  We moved a week ago today. It was a rainy day, but it poured the following day so it was good that it was over with before the really big rain hit.

We hired movers for the furniture and rented a truck from U-Haul for our boxes and other miscellaneous items.  We moved from Burnaby to Surrey, BC.  Not that far, we didn't leave the province and it is about a 30 minute drive but long and far enough.  We moved from a 3 story, 3 bedroom townhouse to a 5 bedroom house, with extra rooms as "mortgage helpers".  We aren't planning to rent out the space yet and currently use the 2 bedroom suite as the guest rooms.  

We had to return to the "old house" the following day to vacuum and pick up the rest of the stuff that didn't fit into the car, etc.  and then return to the new place and try to figure out where everything is.  It is a week later and we STILL don't know where the dowels and screws are (in a ziploc bag that I picked off the floor on the last day) for putting together our bookcase.  Once we find that, then the office will be walkable.  Right now, there are stacks of books and unopened boxes cluttering the room.

The children have their own playroom now so I'm not so concerned about the "mess".  They have found "new" toys, that being the ones that got packed up due to space or age appropriateness and have now destroyed at least 2 books entirely that I have had to throw out. They are beyond tape repair.  Good Night Moon #1 was one of the victims.  

The twins have their own rooms now and have finally begun sleeping through the night. There is the occasional wake up at 11 p.m. or 6 a.m. (as this morning, due to wet sleepers) but for the most part we all sleep through the night.  Hubby has to get up extra early now.  He used to get up at 7 a.m. and catch a train 30 minutes later and be at work on time, whereas now he gets up at 6 a.m. and catches a 6:40 bus to the train.  I think the getting up early will be good for him.  I used to get up that early to leave for work. I worked a little further downtown than he did, but I still think it'll be a good habit for him.

These are pictures of the old house.
 1st floor living room

 Master bedroom
 2nd floor computer room

 These were the baby room. 
 Wrapping a TV
 Movers trying to figure out where to put stuff before loading to truck .. 1st floor again

Pictures of moving into the new house.  
 Front hall
 Recreation room/play room - next to kitchen
 Our lovely walk-in closet with video security  system ... bags of clothes thrown in.. Most weren't even meant for our closet, but the hall closet on 1st floor, or baby room.
 Master bedroom before the bed was set up. 

Of course I have cleaned it up better now and we can actually walk in the front hallway.  2 different people have come to take boxes and packing paper so I haven't had to stuff them in the recycle bins yet.  I have to learn a new garbage system.  Well re-learn it as it is what my mom has, so I learned it 15 years ago and unlearned it 10 years ago when I moved here to BC and it boggled my brain that in a city so huge that there wasn't really organics recycling.

No comments: