Sunday, June 06, 2010

and then the day ended up a tree .. literally!!

Yesterday was one of the best Saturdays I have ever had. I went shopping with a girlfriend, whom I haven't gone shopping with since... my wedding dress hunt 4 years ago. We had a day of it. I picked her up and we went to breakfast at the closest restaurant, DeDutch. I haven't been there much but it was good for what it was. (It's no IHOP, but good.) Then we hit the stores, Diane's, where I learned that I have been wearing the wrong bra. (I knew this according to Oprah that most women are wearing the wrong bra for their body, but I did not know that I was one of them! Glad that's cleared up!)
then we hit Bodacious on Main Street, and Penningtons. We tri
ed on dresses, skirts, tunics, anything worthwhile in the store, .. and actually bought stuff!!

Then since we were close to my house, ran in for a bite and the coupon for Additionelle that I had in my other wallet. Took off for Bed, Bath and Beyond for a look see at their grand opening in Coquitlam, and was pleasantly surprised to find it had a similar layout to the now defunct Linen N' Things, my former favorite store. And ended at Additionelle. Phew!! What a day! It was then 4 p.m. I drove home to pick up my hubby and drove my friend back to her house.

Hubby and I went hunting for a field so that he could fly hi
s model plane. It was a gorgeous day! Clear blue sky, no clouds, sunny and just enough breeze.... so I thought. We learned otherwise when we got out of the car. Hubby put the plane down and gave it a test drive to see how it would go.. and the wind was stronger than we thought. I swear!!! not even 2 minutes later it was STUCK IN A TREE!!
See this is the distance from our car to the tree. (Our car is behind me and the camera.) And it is a TALL tree!


Notice the red arrow. This is where the plane is. Notice the difference in height, keeping in mind that my hubby is 6'7.





So hubby looks around for something to knock it out of the tree with. It is stuck and WON'T budge.

I find him a rock and he starts chucking it up there, mindful of cars and pedestrians on the street. I am holding the remote to see if the plane will get unstuck by the rocks or whatever. There were 3 different people who walked by and see hubby throwing the rock in to the tree, and wonder as we are both staring WAAAY up .. at a tree. "I didn't do this. He did. He got it stuck in the tree. I don't want you to think that I am some crazy woman driver." I said to one couple.
Eventually, hubby
gives up throwing the rock and recruits the assistance of some nearby players, and asks for their soccor ball.I end up watching 3 men and hubby lob the balls up there. They hit it, the ball goes over, but still it doesn't budge.


In the end, one of the men climbs the tree to see if he can shake the branch where the plane is. (Notice the orange shirt. That is the guy in the middle of the tree, no where NEAR the plane.)


In the end, a second guy went up the tree even further and climbed on to the large limb attached to the branch where the plane was stuck and shook the thing loose. Hubby takes the plane and immediately flies it while the second guy gets o
ut of the tree, only to discover a) there really is a strong wind, b) both batteries are low or dead. So he gives up and we go to DQ for ice cream at 6 p.m. It is hot, we are tired. I just wanted to go home. I was happy the day was over but thought the whole thing with the plane .. was hilarious!!

No comments: