Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cutting funds.. learning to not spend money on things that I don't use

So last week I went to the gym where I have a membership. I have been a member since January 2003. I have not gone since... oh... June 2008 (when I got dragged there by a co-worker). But it was only once... and it was not the usual gym that I was used to.

So, I went in at lunch time last week and said I would like to talk to someone about membership.

"are you a member here?"
"Yes" I said. "But I need to talk to someone about it."

After waiting a few minutes, a hot looking trainer shows up and takes me to the desk where he asks me to have a seat. I began "I have a membership since whatever this card says, but I don't come. And I haven't come for 3 years, and I'm not likely to. I want to cancel please, and please don't try and talk me in to staying. It won't work."

After a bit of back and forth, he says he is going to get the manager, but instead returns with a legal sized paper that have "MEMBERSHIP CANCELLATION REQUEST" in big, bold letters at the top. After filling it out, I signed it and left with the receipt of confirmation. True, it was a fabulous deal. It was 18.90 a month, but 18.90 x 12 months for 3 years.... $680.40. Money that I could have used elsewhere.

I got the idea from reading a book 397 Ways to Save.
I love this book. While I knew a lot of the tips in it, there were lots of little hints to glean. Looking forward to seeing what else I save on.

No comments: